Car Insurance – FAQ2024-01-16T14:16:02+10:00

FAQ – Car Insurance

Why is CTP insurance compulsory in NSW?2023-02-03T13:06:09+10:00

CTP insurance is compulsory by New South Wales law, to protect people that are injured as a result of an accident caused by other drivers. It helps cover the medical costs, loss of income, and ongoing care of the injured person.

What’s the difference between CTP and comprehensive insurance?2023-02-03T13:06:16+10:00

CTP insurance is compulsory in New South Wales (Australia) and covers the cost of compensation if you or anyone else driving your vehicle causes an accident where someone else is injured. It doesn’t cover you for damage to your vehicle, or other people’s vehicles or property in the event of an accident, this may be covered by comprehensive car insurance. Comprehensive car insurance may cover the cost of repairs to your car, or someone else’s car or property for damage, caused by a range of insured events such as collision, fire, theft and weather.

What’s CTP insurance?2023-02-03T13:06:24+10:00

CTP insurance (also known as Green Slip in NSW) is compulsory insurance that covers you or anyone else driving your vehicle against financial liability, for injury to a third party in the event of an accident. CTP must be purchased before you can register a vehicle in NSW, and can cover costs such as income replacement and medical expenses.

Assisting you if you’re experiencing domestic or family violence2022-10-03T10:06:39+10:00

We understand that there are times when our customers may be feeling vulnerable, and we appreciate this can take on many forms such as language barriers, financial hardship, and issues and difficulties arising from family and domestic violence. In these situations, we are committed to providing extra care. Call 1300 034 888.

Does it cost any extra if I pay by the month?2022-08-25T11:07:27+10:00

Paying monthly does cost a little extra. Alternatively, you can choose to pay less with an annual payment option.

Can I delay my monthly insurance payment?2022-08-25T11:07:58+10:00

We are unable to delay payments, however, if one of your payments is unsuccessful, you have 30 days from your payment due date to make the payment before your policy is cancelled. If your policy is being renewed and your payment is unsuccessful, you will have 14 days from your payment due date to make this payment.

Do you have age restrictions on your car insurance?2017-08-03T16:23:45+10:00

We insure licenced drivers and learner drivers. We do not cover drivers that are younger than any age restriction shown on your Certificate of Insurance as certain vehicles have higher age minimums. We will not cover drivers under 25 if you have selected to exclude drivers under 25 years old for your policy.

Are any of my personal details ‘sold’ or disclosed to any other 3rd parties?2022-08-26T11:29:33+10:00

Privacy policies for QBE and Kogan Insurance comply with relevant Australian Privacy Law and details how your personal information is treated. This information is also available in our Product Disclosure Statement.

I have lost my car insurance documents, how do I get replacement documents?2022-10-03T10:19:18+10:00

If you’ve lost your Certificate of Insurance or Product Disclosure Statement, simply call 1300 034 888, and your documents will be emailed to you. You can also download the Product Disclosure Statement, Additional Information Guide and Target Market Determination directly from our website.

How do I make changes to my car insurance policy?2022-08-25T11:05:49+10:00

You can make changes to your car insurance policy quickly and easily by calling 1300 034 888. It only takes a few minutes, and there are no administration fees. Remember, depending on the changes you make, the cost of your car insurance premium could change too.

Do you offer cover notes?2022-08-26T11:29:04+10:00

No, we do not offer cover notes for any of our insurance policies.

Do you offer CTP green slips?2022-08-25T11:06:57+10:00

No, we don’t offer CTP (Compulsory Third Party) green slips at Kogan Insurance. We do offer Kogan Comprehensive and Kogan Third Party Property Damage car insurance cover and you can simply get a quick car insurance quote online or call 1300 034 888 to discuss your insurance needs.

What happens if my payment date falls on a weekend or public holiday?2022-08-25T11:08:25+10:00

If your payment date happens to fall on a weekend or public holiday, the payment will be taken out on the next business day.

Are my bank / credit card details protected?2022-08-25T11:08:55+10:00

We take the collection and privacy of your details very seriously and ensure that your details remain secure once they are entered into our system. Our Privacy Policy details how we treat the security of your personal information.

What payment frequencies do you have?2022-09-21T16:29:56+10:00

Paying monthly does cost extra. Alternatively, you can choose to pay less with an annual payment option.

What no-claim discount do you offer on car insurance?2017-08-03T16:25:11+10:00

At Kogan Insurance, we believe in giving all our customers real savings and real value right from the start. So instead of promising you a no claim bonus sometime in the future, we give you lower-cost insurance from the day you join.

We work out your premium by considering factors like the type of car you want to insure, your age, other drivers of your car, your location and your insurance history, then give you the best possible deal every time.

To find out how much you could save, get an online car insurance quote today.

How can I reduce my car insurance premium?2022-02-02T15:54:51+10:00

We’d be happy to help! We have a wide range of insurance options, so you can choose a policy that’s affordable for you. Here are some of the ways you can keep costs down:

  • Choose a higher excess. The higher your excess, the lower your premium. But remember, while your premiums will be cheaper now, you will have to pay more if you need to make a claim.
How can I pay for my car insurance policy?2017-08-03T16:25:27+10:00

You can pay by direct debit from a credit card or bank account. We’ll set up an automatic payment schedule for you so you don’t need to do anything when your premium is due – it’s all done for you!

Can I change the level of cover of insurance at any time?2022-08-26T11:20:48+10:00

We like to provide you with the flexibility to change your cover, therefore, if your change is agreed to, you can update your cover during the period of insurance. Please call 1300 034 888
as soon as reasonably possible as changes to your cover will be effective from the time you tell us of this change.

If I am selling one car and buying another, do I have to take out another car insurance policy?2022-08-25T10:52:34+10:00

Once you have sold your car it is no longer covered under your policy. The purchaser must arrange their own insurance on delivery. If you buy a replacement car, your policy will automatically cover this replacement car from your date of purchase provided you contact Kogan Insurance within 14 days of buying the car, insurance is agreed to and you pay any applicable additional premium.

I have After Market Extras on my car, do you need to know about these?2022-08-25T10:53:02+10:00

If the After Market Extras are to be covered as part of the total value of your car they must be listed on your Certificate of Insurance. We will then cover the After Market Extras as part of your car if it is stolen or damaged in an incident which is covered under your Kogan Car Insurance policy.

What are After Market Extras?2022-08-25T10:53:30+10:00

After market extras are accessories that are added to your car but do not come standard on the car. They are not offered as an option on the car when purchased new from a dealership.

Does Kogan car insurance cover learner drivers?2024-01-16T13:21:20+10:00

Yes! If you’re a learner driver, Kogan car insurance policies will cover you as long as:

  • you’re accompanied by a fully licensed driver
  • you have a current Learner Drivers Licence, Learners Permit or the equivalent for the state or territory where you live.

An additional excess may apply in the event of a claim if the car is being driven by a learner driver.

Am I covered for new car replacement?2022-08-25T10:55:25+10:00

If you have taken out Kogan Comprehensive Car Insurance, and if your car has been assessed as a total loss, it will be replaced with a new car of the same make, model or series, when readily and locally available if you car meets these conditions:

  • it was registered less than 3 years before the incident;
  • its owner acquired it new or as a demonstrator model;
  • it has been driven less than 60,000km; and
  • if it is financed, the financier agrees with your car being replaced.

If a new replacement car is not available, your car will be replaced with a new car that is of a similar make and model. The new car will have the same or equivalent factory-fitted and legal aftermarket accessories and modifications that your car had.

If you cannot agree on the replacement car or you choose not to accept it, you’ll be paid the agreed value or market value, as shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

When your car is replaced, the initial stamp duty and registration fees will be paid for, but not compulsory third party insurance if this is sold separately when your car was last registered. Any extended warranty for the new car will not be paid for or transferred to.

Before your car is replaced, you must pay:

  • any excesses that apply to your claim;
  • any remaining premium instalments for the period of insurance in which the incident occurred; and
  • the value of your car in its damaged state only if it has been agreed that you can keep it.
What is the difference between windscreen replacement and Excess Free Windscreen cover?2022-08-25T10:55:48+10:00

If you have agreed to purchase the optional ‘No Excess’ Windscreen Cover, the excess will not be payable if the claim is only for windscreen glass breakage.

Am I covered for windscreen replacement even if I don’t have the optional ‘No Excess Windscreen Cover option?2022-08-25T10:56:36+10:00

If your windscreen is damaged we will pay the cost of replacing or repairing the front windscreen. An excess will be applicable.

Are there any optional benefits I can add to my car insurance?2024-01-16T13:23:52+10:00

If you select Kogan Comprehensive Car Insurance, you can add the following optional benefits (note that each of these optional benefits attract an additional premium):

  • Hire Car – Extra
  • ‘No Excess’ Windscreen
  • Choice of Repairer.

You can choose the optional benefits that you would like to add to your Kogan Comprehensive Car Insurance policy when you are doing a quote online, or ask your customer service consultant when you call.

What is ‘market value’?2022-08-25T10:57:33+10:00

The reasonable market-related value that we determine the market would pay for your car immediately before its loss or damage. We take into account the age, make, model, conditions and kilometres travelled by your car and may consider industry publications to help determine the amount. The amount does not include any registration costs, stamp duty or transfer fees or allowance for dealer delivery.

Market value includes an allowance for accessories. The market value may be subject to a limit, which if applicable, will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance.

What is an ‘agreed value’?2022-08-25T10:57:53+10:00

The agreed value of your car is the amount we agree to insure your car for. The agreed value is valid for the term of your car insurance policy. The agreed value for your car is shown on your current Certificate of Insurance. This amount may change with each renewal.

Do I have to pay an excess if the accident/incident is not my fault?2024-01-16T13:18:48+10:00

You may not need to pay an excess if:

  • you are not at fault and you can provide us with the details of the responsible party such as the name and address of the other driver/owner of the other car and registration number
  • your claim is only under the standard feature ‘No excess’ windscreen repair or the chosen option ‘No Excess’ Windscreen
Are there any additional excesses for car insurance?2024-01-16T13:22:16+10:00

Yes, there are. Your basic excess will apply as the first payable amount (excess) at the time of a claim. Depending on the circumstances of the incident and who the driver was at the time, the following excesses may also be applicable:

  • Age excess
  • Inexperienced driver excess
  • Learner driver excess
  • Undeclared young driver excess

If you have any questions about excesses and your Kogan Insurance car insurance policy, please call 1300 034 888 or check your Kogan Car Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Can I change my car insurance excess?2022-08-25T11:01:32+10:00

You have the flexibility to increase or decrease your excess at any time during your car insurance policy.

How does the excess amount affect the premium I pay?2022-09-21T14:23:43+10:00

In most cases, the excess is the amount you contribute towards a claim, therefore, if you are willing to contribute a higher Basic Excess at the time of a claim, you will have a lower premium during the policy period. A lower Basic Excess would mean you would pay a higher premium. Be sure to pick a Basic Excess you can afford to pay at short notice if you need to make a claim.

When will I need to pay an excess?2022-08-25T11:03:21+10:00

In the event of a claim and you are required to pay an excess(es), then we will ask you to pay:

  • your excess(es) to the repairer when you pick up your car; or
  • directly to us before you pick up your car or we settle a claim on our behalf; or
  • we may deduct your excess(es) from the amount we agreed to pay you.
What is a car insurance excess?2022-08-25T10:59:30+10:00

An excess is the amount you need to pay if you make a claim on your Kogan Car Insurance policy.

Many insurance policies have either a voluntary excess or a standard excess. A standard excess means it applies to every claim. A voluntary excess can be chosen by customers and it may help to bring down the cost of your insurance premiums because it means that you are contributing more towards the cost of the claim if you need to make one.

There can be situations where multiple excess will apply when you make a claim. For example, if a young driver is involved in a car accident, an inexperienced driver or an age excess could apply on top of the standard excess.

You can find the amount of each excess you’ll need to pay on your Certificate of Insurance

Go to Top